Patronage of the B. V. Mary
|The masonry tserkva in Pavlokoma no longer exists. It was taken apart by Polish residents who did not want to be reminded of the evil deed they perpetrated on the Ukrainian population. On March 3, 1945, Polish inhabitants of Pavlokoma and surrounding villages encircled Pavlokoma and herded all inhabitants of Ukrainian descent into the tserkva, then systematically murdered all males above the age of four and some women, dumping their bodies into a prepared grave in the cemetery. A total of 324 individuals lost their lives that day. Murdered was also Rev. Volodymyr Lemets', the Ukrainian parish priest. Only 40 women and children remained and these were driven out of the village in the clothes they wore.|
A number of years later the Polish villagers wanted to convert the tserkva into a Polish Roman Catholic kostel. The church authorities did not allow this to happen because of the innocent blood that had been spilled there. Sometime later, the tserkva was taken apart, and the materials used elsewhere. Shown in the photograph are the remnants of the brick bell tower.