The tserkva in Khmil is a good example of more modern Boyko sacral architecture.
The structure has been converted to a kostel in 1970 and renovated in 1977. In the cemetery
there is an ancient grave marker inscribed in Cyrillic. It is supposed to be the resting place of
one of the early Ukrainian Catholic bishops.
* Sketch of the non-existant bell tower (1795?) as it appears in Stanislaw Krycinski's "Cerkwie w Bieszczadach", 1991 edition.
First tserkva mentioned in 1589. Next wooden tserkva, built in 1795, burned down in 1904. The current one was built by parishoners during 1904-6. Consecrated in 1907. Abandoned after 1951. Furnishings were subsequently being stolen and destroyed. In the '60s served as a warehouse for the fire department. Since 1969 serves as a filial Roman Catholic church. Renovated during 1970-77. Old furnishings have not survived.
The wooden bell tower ( 1795? ) was demolished in the '70s.
The church cemetery is presently enclosed with a modern chain-link fence. A grave marker with an old church-slavonic incription dating back to 1641, is found on the sight of previous tserkva. According to the local tradition, this marker commemorates burial of bishop Hieronim Ustzhitski (coat of arms - Pzhestzhal/Perestril). His portrait was supposedly hanging in this tserkva at the beginning of the 20th c. However historical facts don't confirm this tradition. Bishop Ustzhitski died only in 1746, and the coat of arms on this ancient marker is of the Sas variety. In addition the cemetery contains 5 grave stones from the turn of century. Among them a classic grave stone of father Feliks Dolzhitski (d. 1903), interesting grave stone for a land holder Emil Ricci (1844-1875). All graves restored with local funds in 1987.